Officially opened in 1866, the West Block then contained the Postmaster General, Public Works and Crown Lands departments. Two extensions were later added to the original structure. The Mackenzie Wing and Tower was completed in 1878 and the Laurier Tower and Link was completed in 1906. The first renovations of the West Block took place from 1961 to 1965. Today, it is occupied by Ministers, Members of Parliament and their staff. The Confederation Room, one of the largest reception rooms on Parliament Hill, was created during renovations in the early 1960s. It is used for some state occasions, committee work and conferences.
Government - National - Foreign