The estate dates back to 1580 when a castle stood on the site until a fire destroyed it during the Wars of Religion in France. The castle wasn’t rebuilt until almost 200 years later, when, in 1741, the Marquis Louis Gaspard de Sales commissioned the prominent architect Ange-Jacques Gabriel, who designed the Place de la Concorde, Paris and the Petit Trianon, Versailles, to build a new chateau. The construction was completed in 1750 and De Sales hosted grand parties in the chateau, lavishing money on guests who included prominent intellectuals and artists like playwright Voltaire.
Following the French Revolution, the home was purchased by a local family, but has since fallen into disrepair. The Waters' are currently in the proces of restoring the chateau to it's former state.