Dymaxion Deployment Units

Dymaxion Deployment Units


Wall Township, New Jersey (NJ), US
A Dymaxion Deployment Unit is a structure designed in 1940 by Buckminster Fuller consisting of a 20-foot circular hut constructed of corrugated steel looking much like a yurt or the top of a metal silo. The interior was insulated, finished with wallboard, port holes and a door. The dome-like ceiling has a hole in the top and a cap for ventilation. The Army Signal Corps commissioned Fuller in 1942 to develop 200 units as quickly as possible. The units were manufactured by the Butler Manufacturing company and were deployed all around the world prior to the US entry into World War II. The cost of each unit at the time was $1,250. The wartime shortage of steel resulted in the cancellation of further production.
A Dymaxion Deployment Unit is a structure designed in 1940 by Buckminster Fuller consisting of a 20-foot circular hut constructed of corrugated steel looking much like a yurt or the top of a metal silo. The interior was insulated, finished with wallboard, port holes and a door. The dome-like ceiling has a hole in the top and a cap for ventilation. The Army Signal Corps commissioned Fuller in 1942 to develop 200 units as quickly as possible. The units were manufactured by the Butler Manufacturing company and were deployed all around the world prior to the US entry into World War II. The cost of each unit at the time was $1,250. The wartime shortage of steel resulted in the cancellation of further production.
View in Google Earth Military - Bases, Famous Architects
Links: www.nytimes.com
By: jbottero

Advertisement

Around the World Mailing List

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload

Advertisement