Dyrehavsbakken

Dyrehavsbakken


Copenhagen, Denmark (DK)
Dyrehavsbakken (English, "The Deer Park Hill"), referred to informally as Bakken ("The Hill"), is the world's oldest intact still-surviving amusement park. It is located in Klampenborg (Gentofte municipality), Denmark.

It started modestly when Kirsten Piil, in 1583 discovered a natural spring in the area north of Copenhagen. Locals took tours to the natural spring to drink the good tasting, fresh water, which was in short supply in Copenhagen, and to take advantage of its health-bringing properties. In their wake followed enterprising individuals who took financial advantage of the visiting crowds by offering, among other products and services, food and pottery in which to collect the water.

The forest area in which Bakken lies is now known as Dyrehaven, and is state-owned. Dyrehaven, which translates literally from the Danish as "The Deer Park", was fenced in 1669 by order of King Frederik III, and became a royal hunting ground. This area is also known as Jægersborg Dyrehave ("Jægersborg Deer Garden"). It was made into the first amusement park, complete with rides, games, and restaurants, by King Christian IV of Denmark. Note that since "dyr" in Danish can mean both deer and animal in general, the park is sometimes translated to "The Animal Garden".
Dyrehavsbakken (English, "The Deer Park Hill"), referred to informally as Bakken ("The Hill"), is the world's oldest intact still-surviving amusement park. It is located in Klampenborg (Gentofte municipality), Denmark.

It started modestly when Kirsten Piil, in 1583 discovered a natural spring in the area north of Copenhagen. Locals took tours to the natural spring to drink the good tasting, fresh water, which was in short supply in Copenhagen, and to take advantage of its health-bringing properties. In their wake followed enterprising individuals who took financial advantage of the visiting crowds by offering, among other products and services, food and pottery in which to collect the water.

The forest area in which Bakken lies is now known as Dyrehaven, and is state-owned. Dyrehaven, which translates literally from the Danish as "The Deer Park", was fenced in 1669 by order of King Frederik III, and became a royal hunting ground. This area is also known as Jægersborg Dyrehave ("Jægersborg Deer Garden"). It was made into the first amusement park, complete with rides, games, and restaurants, by King Christian IV of Denmark. Note that since "dyr" in Danish can mean both deer and animal in general, the park is sometimes translated to "The Animal Garden".
View in Google Earth Theme Parks - Misc
Links: en.wikipedia.org
By: alfjon

Advertisement

Around the World Mailing List

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload

Advertisement