Ebenezer Hopkins House

Ebenezer Hopkins House


Collingswood, New Jersey (NJ), US
The original Hopkins House (now the west wing) is a Georgian style building built in the 1740s. The newer east wing was a project of the Works Progress Administration. Beginning in 1935, WPA workers began to widen and straighten the narrow, winding Cooper River and to fill in its marshy banks for use as a recreation area. The old west wing, which now houses galleries for the display of art, was renovated by the WPA in 1938-39. The newer east wing, which houses the offices of the CCCHC, a storage space, and public restrooms, was added at that time.
The original Hopkins House (now the west wing) is a Georgian style building built in the 1740s. The newer east wing was a project of the Works Progress Administration. Beginning in 1935, WPA workers began to widen and straighten the narrow, winding Cooper River and to fill in its marshy banks for use as a recreation area. The old west wing, which now houses galleries for the display of art, was renovated by the WPA in 1938-39. The newer east wing, which houses the offices of the CCCHC, a storage space, and public restrooms, was added at that time.
View in Google Earth Homes - Historic
Links: www.waymarking.com
By: kkeps

Advertisement

Around the World Mailing List

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Anonymous picture
Anonymous
@ 2009-07-11 22:20:54
Ebenezer Hopkins was a son of Benjamin Hopkins and Sarah Haddon of Southwark, Surrey, England. He was brought to America by his aunt Elizabeth Haddon Estaugh and her husband John, who were childless, to be their heir. Benjamin was a son of William and Katheryn Hopkins of Southwark. The family were Quakers, or members of the Religious Society of Friends.

Advertisement