Opened on February 11, 2001, the Thomas Edison Depot Museum was the second satellite facility to open of what is now known as the Port Huron Museums. It is housed inside the historic Fort Gratiot depot built in 1858 by the Grand Trunk Railway, and is the actual depot that Thomas Edison worked out of as a news butcher between 1859 and 1863. Trains connecting here carried people and freight between Port Huron and Detroit, Point Edward/Sarnia (Ontario), and other destinations, linking Port Huron to the world.
The exhibits portray Edison's multi-faceted story of creativity, family support, adversity, perseverance, and ultimate triumph as the greatest inventor of our times. Re-created period environments and hands-on inter actives invite visitors to become participants in this inspiring story and encourage them to apply their own creativity and ingenuity as they learn about Edison's life and his inventions.
By kjfitz @ 2008-01-25 22:37:34