Characteristics of Facility
* Testing of large calibre ordnance and munitions (larger than 40mm) which comprises performance tests on gun barrels, firing vehicle, propellants, range and accuracy trials and strength of design.
* Testing of free flight rocket systems with inert/practice payloads and a ballistic safety trace.
* Static and dynamic trials into:
* Explosive effects on structures and armour.
* Demolition methods
* Operation of shaped charges comprising multi-warheads, fragmenting warhead tests, explosive reactive armour testing, mine clearance, defensive aids and pyrotechnics.
* Direct fire ranges against targets at a distance of up to 909 metres (1000 yards) comprising both function and accuracy firings
* An ammunition compound for explosive and inert storage.
* An ammunition conditioning capability between +70 degrees Celsius and 60 degrees Celsius.
* Proofing activities to ensure that munitions and weapons are manufactured correctly and are fit for purpose. The following are undertaken:
* Fuse proof.
* Propellant proof.
* Ordnance proof.
* Production proof.
* In-service and service proof/surveillance.