Merkland Street Station was a station on the metro system in Glasgow, Scotland. The station opened in 1896. The station was located 25 metres to the south-west of its replacement, Patrick Station (over ground station), and Merkland Street was also located 300 metres to the south of Patrickhill Station. Merkland Street closed in 1977 when the Glasgow Metro closed for modernization. When the Glasgow Metro reopened in 1980, Merkland Street was never added to the station map again.
What's left today:
Sadly nothing remains today. The station building has been demolished. The platforms have been demolished. The only evidence of the station ever existed is a small gap between the two tunnels (as the station had an island platform). This can only be seen from passing trains, but hard to see, as the trains usually travel at a fast speed past the site.
Note: Merkland Street Station is the only station on the Glasgow Metro to ever close. The other stations have remained open since the opening of the Glasgow Metro.
By Drudii @ 2015-04-26 12:53:21