Murray Hill was a tram tunnel that once carried the New York and Harlem Railroad and later the same company's streetcar (tram) line. At the time of the tunnel being used as a tram tunnel it was known as Murray Hill Tunnel.
The tunnel originally was built as an open rock cut that was completed in 1834. In the 1850s a roof was added over the cutting, thus the tunnel we know today.
Today the tunnel is being used for traffic on Park Avenue. The tunnel is now known as Park Avenue Tunnel.
By Drudii @ 2015-05-04 13:06:54