The fort dating to 1563 was part of a defensive system against the Saracen invasions. According to historians the name was given to the fort following a Saracen massacre which took place on the headland in 872. Originally the fort stood on the headland but following the construction of the highway number 18, it was cut back. The presence of iron in the walls and its position lead one to believe it was a so called “cavalry tower". Men on horseback who lived in the tower would warn the towns people in case of attack. Around about the 1600s the tower was used by Ippolito from Pastena as a base during the anti Spanish revolt against the french invasion, thereby preventing Salerno from surrendering. During the last war, the fort was used as a gun post; traces still exist today. Today the Fort is used for cultural events.
Military - Historic - Forts and Batteries