The Fort Street Presbyterian Church is located in Detroit, Michigan. Construction began in 1855, and was completely rebuilt in 1876. Like many inter-city churches, attendance has ebbed and flowed throughout Fort Street's life. In the 1940s, there were plans to close the expensive church and perhaps combine with other congregations. However, with the onset of World War Two, the church converted its gymnasium into a dormitory for servicemen who were arriving at the train station then across the street. Today the church focuses on social services as lower-middle class folks moved into the formerly aristocratic, area.
Also seen here at VG: http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/fort-street-presbyterian-church/