Converse Goodhue Goodrich and his wife, Almira, donated money for the construction of a free library. The land was worth $6000, the building $20,000. Construction was started in 1898. It dedicated on September 1, 1899. Architect William Storey designed the building.
The stock used to fund the operations of the library failed during the depression in 1933. This forced the library to enlist public support.
It opened with 6500 books.
In November 1983, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.