Construction on the original Moccasin Powerhouse was started in Fall 1921. The facility was completed and began generating power on August 14, 1925.
The present-day Moccasin Powerhouse, was completed and placed in operation January 27, 1969. The facility's rated capacity is 100,000 KVA and there is a second 3,000 KVA generator called Moccasin Low Head Generating Plant, (completed 1986). The town site is a significant facility along the Hetch Hetchy Aqueduct system.