Begun by Samuel Hill in 1814 in Flemington, New Jersey, and known as Hill Pottery. Hill was a utilitarian potter, producing drain pipes and storage crocks and jars from Flemington's red earthenware clay. By the 1860s, the company had been acquired by Abram Fulper, who continued in the utilitarian pottery business, but produced primarily stoneware, rather than earthenware.
By 1900, the company, now Fulper Pottery Co., was under the direction of William H. Fulper II, grandson of Abram Fulper. William H. Fulper II was responsible for the development and introduction of Fulper Pottery Co.'s now renowned Vasekraft art pottery in 1909. In 1910, he hired ceramic engineer Martin Stangl to develop new Fulper Pottery shapes and glazes.