The Jupiter Inlet Light location dates back to 1849 when US Army surveyors (including Robert E. Lee) recommended the strategic site to build a lighthouse. The order was signed by President Franklin Pierce in 1854 and designed by George Meade (Meade and Lee fought against each other in Gettysburg). The lighthouse was lit on July 10, 1860.
During the Civil War, Confederate sympathizers stole parts from the lighthouse darkening the light to allow blockade runners safe passage. In 1866 the parts were found and the Jupiter Lighthouse was relit. In 1899 a Weather Bureau Station and signal station were established.
During WWII, the lighthouse was became "Station J". The secret installation was used by the US Navy to intercept German U-Boat radio transmissions as they attempted to sink allied ships.
By tallturtle82 @ 2015-07-27 13:43:37