Founded on September 10, 1943 and incorporated as a non-profit charity by the National Hockey League and the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association. By 1958, NHL President Clarence Campbell announced that the NHL is withdrawing their support for the International Hockey Hall of Fame in Kingston to establish the NHL Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. Despite this major setback, the Board of Directors of the International Hockey Hall of Fame moved forward. In 1962, a grant was awarded by the City of Kingston for the construction of a new building. In 1965 the International Hockey Hall of Fame moved into their new building located on the Memorial Centre grounds in Kingston. In 1969, the NHL and the NHL Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto made unsuccessful overtures to obtain the IHHOF exhibits and the rights to the name “International Hockey Hall of Fame”.
By adrbr @ 2008-07-11 11:33:26