The fortress was established in 1492 during the reign of Ivan III of Moscow and was named after him. Between 1581–1590 and between 1612–1704 it was controlled by Sweden. The castle was reconstructed and fortified many times, becoming one of the strongest defensive structures in the 16th century. The castle was in development until the 17th century, becoming a large, sprawling fortress with several lines of defense.
Castles, Military - Historic