Born in Sainte-Marthe, Saskatchewan in 1942, he received a B.S.A from the University of Manitoba in 1966 and a M.F.A. from Pennsylvania State University in 1968. From 1968 to 1974, he taught sculpture at the University of Saskatchewan, Regina Campus (now the University of Regina). He was visiting lecturer at the University of California, Davis in 1980-1981. Recognized for his outstanding contribution to the arts in Canada, he was named an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1981; awarded the Architectural Institute of Canada Allied Arts Award in 1987; and received an Honorary Degree from the University of Regina in 1989.