Liberty Hall was the Crawfordville, Georgia home of the Vice President of the Confederate States of America, Alexander Stephens. It is currently a National Historic Landmark maintained by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. Stephens bought the estate in 1845, and lived in its house until 1875, when he tore down the main structure to build Liberty Hall. The two-story "big house" is a traditional 4 x 4 (four rooms on each level). Many of Stephens' books are housed in a smaller structure behind, where he spent much of his time after the war. After Stephens's death in 1883, Liberty Hall, owned by his surviving relatives, served as a boardinghouse until 1932, when it was donated to the state of Georgia. The vice president's grave is on the front lawn, beneath a marble statue in his honor. Liberty Hall is now a historic house museum that is part of A. H. Stephens Historic Park, and has been renovated to appear as of 1875. The structure is also known as "Bachelor's Hall", as Stephens never married.
Buildings - Museums