Built in 1951 at Curtis Bay, MD by the USCG Yard for $500,000, Lightship 612 was the last ship to serve the Nantucket Shoals station and was also the last US lightship in commission. In 1975 Lightship Ambrose, the Nantucket's sister ship was renamed Lightship Nantucket II and the two ships spelled one another, relieving each other approximately every 21 days. In December 1983 the Lightship 613 was sold to the New England Historic Seaport to become a musuem ship in Boston and Lightship 612 was reassigned to cutter duty.
Finally, after being decommissioned on March 29, 1985 Lightship 612 was sold to the Boston Educational Marine Exchange and has since passed through a number of owners. As of 2006, she is privately owned and has been converted to a luxury yacht which is berthed in Boston and is for sale.
By kjfitz @ 2006-03-05 12:36:04