Several stone buildings are known for the Roman period located on and surrounding the hill. In middle ages, the hilltop leveled fort became the retaining wall and gave the Lindenhof terrace largely its current form.
The roman castle's remains existed until the early medieval age, as a Carolingian, later Ottonian Pfalz (1054) was built on its remains. This Kaiserpfalz was a long building with a chapel on the eastern side of the fortified hill. Lindenhof thus formed the core of the medieval fortifications of Zürich. The emperor Pfalz was reconstructed to a fortified castle (1172 last mentioned, 1218 broken).
Following the demolition of the former royal residence, the hill – the only public place and park within the city walls – turned to an area of public life and relaxation, with dense tree vegetation, stone tables, crossbow stands, bowling and chess, which is still very popular .