Designed in 1942 by Vega Aircraft Corp. a subsidiary of Lockheed, as a land based photoreconnaissance and anti-submarine duty a/c. Lockheed dissolved Vega in 1943 and an XP2-1 made its first flight in May 1945.A P2V named the "Truculent Turtle" flew from Perth Australia Sept. 29, 1946 to Columbus Ohio,11255.6 miles, in 55 hours and 17 minutes breaking the world distance record without refueling.
Although designed for land operation this a/c was flown from carriers. Successive models progressed from the from the P2V-1 to the P2V-7. In 1962 the P2-Vs were redesignated as P-2s. The P2V-s became the P-2 E and the P2V-7 became the P-2H.
The museum's a/c was at one time equipped with jet engines attached outboard of the regular engines. They were removed prior to being Donated by the Navy Air Reserve Detachment of Buckley Field CO.
By kjfitz @ 2008-09-04 17:03:08