The Morse Theatre, located on Morse Avenue near Wayne Avenue in the Rogers Park neighborhood, opened in 1912 as a vaudeville and movie house originally seating 650. During the mid-1930's, it was remodeled in Art Deco style and renamed the Co-Ed Theatre, playing on its proximity to Loyola University.
The Co-Ed Theatre closed in 1954 and from 1956 until 1977, it became home to a synagogue. In 1986, the building was converted into the Cobbler's Mall, which included, as the name implies, a shoe repair store.
In 2008, the Morse Theatre was renovated and restored, and reopened in October 2008 as a venue for concerts, despite an arson attack in August. Live theater, independent cinema, and children's programs are also planned. It reopened early-2010 as the Mayne Stage.