The house served as the location of surrender of the Confederate army by Robert E. Lee. to Ulysses S. Grant on April 9, 1865.
Wilmer McLean owned the house in 1865 and was a retired major in the Virginia militia. He was too old to fight in the war but made a good living by smuggling sugar through the Union blockade.
The reconstructed house was registered as a NRHP on October 15, 1966.
Direct link below.
By tallturtle82 @ 2016-05-23 07:18:28