This former airfield, part of Fort Devens AAF, was built at some time between 1917, when Fort Devens was first built, and 1929, the first time the field showed up on aeronautical charts. It was turned over by the Army to the Navy in 1944 and used in training operations for a short period of time. The Army regained control of the field after the war.
Abandoned, Military - Air Ports
In 1976, the base was renamed Moore AAF after CWA2 Douglas Moore, a native of Ayer, MA who was killed in action in Vietnam. At the end of the Cold War, the base was downgraded and the airfield closed. The base is still used by the FBI and various other acronym agencies for training purposes, but the field remains abandoned.