Olympic city Elstal 1936

Olympic city Elstal 1936


Elstal, Germany (DE)
The Olympic Village built for the Summer Games of 1936 is located about 40 km west of the downtown Berlin between the towns Elstal and Dšberitz. On the day of our visit, a film team was shooting scenes for a thriller. One of the gates was open, so that the movie production vehicles could be parked on the grounds.
The vast, slightly hilly terrain has been left more or less to itself since the departure of Soviet troops in 1992. Deer now graze on the grassy areas between the dilapidated buildings. The only remnants of the original Olympic Village are a few one-story barracks, two larger community buildings, a boxing arena, a swimming hall and an athletic field.
Only male athletes were housed here during the Games, while women athletes were accommodated in hotels in the heart of the city. After the Olympics, the Nazis used the Village as a military installation. Most of the original buildings were torn down by the Soviet Army, which took control of the grounds after the end of World War II, and replaced with numerous multistory housing units. These buildings have also been empty since 1992 and are currently being prepared for renovation. The windows and doors have been removed from all of the buildings. Plans for the next few years call for the construction of a "residential community in the country" with some 3,000 apartments. The surviving historical buildings are to be renovated.

Ling are in german only.
The Olympic Village built for the Summer Games of 1936 is located about 40 km west of the downtown Berlin between the towns Elstal and Dšberitz. On the day of our visit, a film team was shooting scenes for a thriller. One of the gates was open, so that the movie production vehicles could be parked on the grounds.
The vast, slightly hilly terrain has been left more or less to itself since the departure of Soviet troops in 1992. Deer now graze on the grassy areas between the dilapidated buildings. The only remnants of the original Olympic Village are a few one-story barracks, two larger community buildings, a boxing arena, a swimming hall and an athletic field.
Only male athletes were housed here during the Games, while women athletes were accommodated in hotels in the heart of the city. After the Olympics, the Nazis used the Village as a military installation. Most of the original buildings were torn down by the Soviet Army, which took control of the grounds after the end of World War II, and replaced with numerous multistory housing units. These buildings have also been empty since 1992 and are currently being prepared for renovation. The windows and doors have been removed from all of the buildings. Plans for the next few years call for the construction of a "residential community in the country" with some 3,000 apartments. The surviving historical buildings are to be renovated.

Ling are in german only.
View in Google Earth Olympic Sites, Abandoned
Links: www.geschichtsspuren.de
By: alfjon

Advertisement

Around the World Mailing List

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload

Advertisement