Golden Hill Fort was a defensible barracks built as part of the Palmerston defences by the 1859 Royal Commission on the Defence of the United Kingdom to provide manpower to man the defences at the western end of the Isle of Wight, England. The Fort is a local landmark which is in a very prominent position overlooking much of the land looking south towards Afton Down. Whilst operational, the area was kept clear of vegetation to allow views out to the Solent. The name Golden Hill refers not to the spectacular golden display of gorse but to an historic landowner, Gauden. The building, which is a Grade 1 Listed Building, is now in private ownership and not open to the public. It is derelict and has been unused for many years, although conversion to residential use is now underway and should be complete in early 2006.
Military - Historic - Forts and Batteries