The bridge was built in 1867 by Elias McMellen at a cost of $4,500. In 1972 it was destroyed as a result of flooding caused by Hurricane Agnes. Due to a tremendous response of area residents who signed a petition for its reconstruction, it was among the first covered bridges to be restored after Agnes. In the spring of 1973 the bridge was rebuilt by the nearby Amish. To prevent damage due to future flooding, they raised the bridge to 17.5 feet (5.3 m) above the average water line.[
Added in 1980, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as structure number 80003527.
By neotrix @ 2009-10-03 00:08:12