Porta Garibaldi (formerly Porta Ferdinandea). This monumental gate was erected in 1768 in honor of King Ferdinand IV and his consort Maria Carolina, daughter of the Empress Maria Teresa. The architects were Francesco Battaglia and his stepson Stefano Ittar. They built the gate with horizontal layers of white limestone and black lava. The side facing towards the city is simpler, the west-facing side has concave wings and is crowned by a clock placed between two winged figures, symbolizing glory.