The Second World War saw the construction of Peterhead Airfield, located between Longside and Peterhead. Built for the RAF in 1941 it was disbanded in 1945. At its busiest time there were in excess of 2000 personnel stationed there serving a large number of RAF and up to four Fleet Air Arm squadrons. Amongst the nations represented were Australians, Canadians, New Zealanders. Poles, Czechoslovaks, Belgians, and Americans. Squadrons of particular note would include the RAF 13th Group (Night Fighters) the Royal Canadian Air force (416 Squadron) and the Polish Air Force (309 Squadron).
Military - Historic - Closed Facility