This field was built during the WW2 era as the largest of 16 satellite landing fields which supported primary flight training at Grosse Isle Naval Air Station.
The date of construction of Newport NOLF has not been determined, but the earliest depiction of the field which has been located was a 1942 map (courtesy of the NAS Grosse Isle web site), which labeled it as "Newport Field "23813".
Most of Grosse Isle's cadets solo flights were conducted from Newport.
After the end of primary flight training at Grosse Isle, Carrier Air Group 97 used Newport for Field Carrier Landing Practice.
The airfield consisted of a 1,700' concrete hexagon landing pad, taxiways, a ramp, fire station & barracks.