The grand roman building is situated in the centre of Lecce, and dates back to the first half of the 1st century. It was excavated in 1938 and it is the main finding of the Roman city of Lupiae. Partly built in travertine, partly supported by solid arches, the theatre could contain more than 20,000 spectators. Today, only the terraces of inferior order are visible, separated from the arena by a balustrade full of relieves and half of the structure, still underground.
Theatres - Misc, Ancient