Ruins of St Radigund's Abbey

The ruins of St Radigund's Abbey lie to the southwest of the London Road, the name of the founder of the Abbey is uncertain, but it dates back to about the year 1190 and was founded for the canons of the Praemonstratensian Order. It was visited by Edward II. in the thirteenth year of his reign (1319) but according to an old manuscript it had come into a very ruinous condition by the year 1500 owing to " the abbot having wasted the income of his house on licentious pleasures."

The ruins cover a large area of ground which indicates that the precincts were extensive. It seems to have been surrounded by a broad ditch and rampart. A historian of a century ago thus describes it : " The walls of the entrance-gateway, which are of great thickness and strength, are still nearly entire ; this gateway opens by a large arch in the centre, and has a smaller arch adjoining for foot-passengers. The north and west sides of the chapel, with part of the dwelling, now patched up as a farmhouse, are also standing ; the latter had a projecting porch in the centre, but this now forms the end of the building. That part of the front which adjoins it is curiously checkered with flint and stones, but the chief portion of the ruins is built of flint inter­mingled with chalk, with freestone cornerstones."
712 views
Views by date
6.0 (2 votes)
Rate as 1Rate as 2Rate as 3Rate as 4Rate as 5Rate as 6Rate as 7Rate as 8Rate as 9Rate as 10

Comments

Policies

Please log in if you don't want to post anonymously (anonymous users cannot post links).

Note: VirtualGlobetrotting is an entertainment website is and is not associated with this post, location or person.

Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload

Around the World Mailing List

Share:

Comments

Policies

Please log in if you don't want to post anonymously (anonymous users cannot post links).

Note: VirtualGlobetrotting is an entertainment website is and is not associated with this post, location or person.

Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload