The church of St Mary-at-the-Walls was built against Colchester's Roman wall in the west of the town. The first recorded church was in 1206. The church tower was destroyed in the English Civil War and was rebuilt in 1729 and 1911. The church was rebuilt in 1872. In 1978 the parish was united with another church and St Mary's became redundant. In 1980 it opened as the St Mary's Arts Centre or Colchester Arts Centre. The church's single bell and organ were moved to other churches.
Religious - Christianity
Links: en.wikipedia.org, historicengland.org.uk, www.colchesterartscentre.com