There was a church here in the 12th century that was re-built in the 1320s and is largely what can be seen today. The spire was removed in 1818 and the building was restored by Gilbert Scott, after a fire, in 1849-50. At the turn of the millennium work was undertaken to make it into a multi-use space.
Religious - Christianity
Links: en.wikipedia.org, historicengland.org.uk, www.british-history.ac.uk