The Savvino-Storozhevsky Monastery (Russian: Саввино-Сторожевский монастырь) is a Russian Orthodox monastery in Zvenigorod. In 1398, Prince Yuri asked St. Savva Storozhevsky, one of the first disciples of Sergii Radonezhsky, to go to Zvenigorod and to establish a monastery on the Storozhi Holm (Watching Hill). St. Savva of Storozhi was interred in the white stone cathedral of the Virgin's Nativity in 1407. This diminutive, roughly hewn church still stands, although its present-day exquisite look is the result of recent restoration. The frescoes in the altar date back to the 1420s, but the rest of the interior was painted in 1656. A magnificent iconostasis in five tiers and the Stroganov School heaven gates were installed in 1652. In 1650, the monastery was chosen by Tsar Alexis as his suburban residence. In five years, they constructed a white stone royal palace and a festive chamber for the tsaritsa. The cloister was encircled with stone walls and towers, patterned after those of the Troitse-Sergiyeva Lavra. Particularly noteworthy is a large belfry, erected in four bays in 1650 and crowned with three tents and a clocktower. A church over the holy gates was consecrated to the Holy Trinity in 1652.
Religious - Christianity