The station was built between 1912 and May 1914, replacing an older structure dating from 1869. The building was designed by New York architects Stem and Fellheimer. Construction involved the rerouting of the Mohawk River. Built as a New York Central Railroad station, in 1915 it became tenated by the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad and the New York, Ontario and Western Railway as well, those two companies abandoning their structures.
The station's restoration began in 1978, but refurbishing/restoration work continues to this day.