The Emboyd Theater, opened on May 14, 1928 as the largest of Fort Wayne's movie palaces, with a seating capacity of 2,970, and in 1952 was renamed the Embassy Theater. Like many single screen movie houses in the 1970's, it could no longer compete with television and closed. In 1972, the Embassy Theater Foundation purchased the theater to save it from demolition. The theater was eventually renovated for stage shows in the early 1990’s and returned to its original shine. It reopened in 1996 as a performing arts center and venue for Broadway shows.