Umhlanga Lighthouse

Umhlanga Lighthouse


Umhlanga, South Africa (ZA)
The lighthouse on Umhlanga beach was completed in 1954, and was a replacement for the Bluff lighthouse which was abandoned due to its rapid deterioration.

The lighthouse is a 21m circular concrete tower, painted white with a red band at the top, and has a focal plane height of 25m.

A fixed red light is used by ships waiting to anchor in the outer anchorage, to monitor their positions. If the red light can be seen, the ship captain know that the anchors may have dragged and that the ship is too close to shore.
The lighthouse on Umhlanga beach was completed in 1954, and was a replacement for the Bluff lighthouse which was abandoned due to its rapid deterioration.

The lighthouse is a 21m circular concrete tower, painted white with a red band at the top, and has a focal plane height of 25m.

A fixed red light is used by ships waiting to anchor in the outer anchorage, to monitor their positions. If the red light can be seen, the ship captain know that the anchors may have dragged and that the ship is too close to shore.
View in Google Earth Lighthouses
By: ossewa

Advertisement

Around the World Mailing List

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload

Advertisement