Construction began in 1852, but was interrupted in 1859 due to costs and the possibility of South Carolina's secession from the Union. After the Civil War, construction was restarted in 1870 and completed in 1879. The building was placed on the NRHP on 10/9/74. It is a contributing property of the Charleston Historic District.
Government - National - USA, National Register of Historic Places (NRHP)