The first castle of Viborg was founded during the third Swedish crusade in 1293 by the marshal Torkel Knutsson. The castle was fought over for centuries between Sweden and the Republic of Novgorod. By the treaty of Nöteborg in 1323 Viborg was finally recognized as a part of Sweden. Town of Viborg (Viipuri) and castle where part of Finland until 1940 and again from 1941 to 20 June 1944 when the town fell to the Red Army and was renamed Vyborg.
By Hinkkanen @ 2006-04-23 10:59:13