Air Base 6 date back to January 2, 1953, with the establishment of the Centro de Aviação Naval Sacadura Cabral (Sacadura Cabral Naval Aviation Center), operating the "Fleet" and "Grumman" amphibious aircraft, and later the "Helldiver" and "Harvard T-6". As a result of the Aviação Militar Portuguesa (Portuguese Military Aviation) reorganization, through which both the Army and Naval Aviation joined in a fully independent Air Force, the Sacadura Cabral Center became Air Base 6, on June 12, 1954. From 1954 it operated the anti-submarine "Lockeed PV-2 Harpoon", and later, in 1960, the "P2V5 Neptune", better fit for the maritime surveillance and search and rescue missions.
Along its history, besides the aforementioned aircraft, it also operated the "Douglas DC6", the "Allouete III" and the "FIAT G91"
Category: Military - Air Ports