Arnside Tower is a so called Peel tower, a small fortified keep, built along the English and Scottish Borders, intended as watch towers where signal fires could be lit by moss-troopers to warn of approaching danger. By an Act of Parliament in 1455 each Peel Tower was required to have an iron basket on its summit and a smoke or fire signal, for day or night use, ready to hand.
View in Google Earth Categories: Castles
Links: www.ecastles.co.uk
By: Hinkkanen
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement