Along the Old Road is Køge Denmark authentic flight environment from the time before 1945. Aerodrome was brought in military auspices in 1917 on Avedøre drill camp west of Vestencienten said, because the soil here was trampled adap firm.
Today hosts the world's oldest tree aerodrome hangars for land-based aircraft. There are two hangars back. The last of the total three hangars stood at longer Gl Køge Road, but is gone today. Hangar is entered while the aerodrome and is now with the ten comprehensive engine test stand buildings from 1943.
The engine test stand buildings were built by the german Wehrmacht in 1943 for testing the bombers engines were repaired in Copenhagen. On the test bed was the main gates opened at both ends. Hanging on the ceiling could the engine run for 24 hours until it was approved and installed at the bombers.
Between 1917 and 1945 were Avedøre Airfield in use especially for military but also civilian purposes.
Among others were the Danish Carrier (now the Danish part of SAS) its very first test flights here in the early 1920 s. While working among navy base for a school trip. Avedøre Airfield places itself in terms of both buildings and key events in the early Danish flyhistorie.
Apart from years in the early 1920 s, there has not been very regular traffic in Avedøre. The buildings are in place over time been used for other purposes: storage of weapons and tools, plant activities and not least the deposit of many different types of aircraft.
The poor use of space into regular flight and ignored its decay in recent times is associated with particular the assigning of all air travel to Copenhagen Kastrup Airport in 1925 and especially the two world wars.
Avedøre Airfield was built during the First World War raged. It was not smooth: it lacked fuel and equipment to such an extent that only a few test flights took place. Actually consisted aerodrome in this fledgling start-up of træbarakkerne, (which was specifically built to be burned in a hurry if the military situation made it necessary), 12 aircraft with only two of engines, and a drained meadow! After the ceasefire on 11 November 1918, all military activities, scaled back and there was quiet in the square for some years.
The second World War would prove fatal for the spot. 29 August 1943, the Danish army disarmed and the Germans took all the equipment from Avedøre Airfield. Since the rømmede place after the liberation in 1945, the planes were gone.
Both the site formation and its finally had the context of a dramatic terms: World War II. Today only the empty buildings back. But one still felt vingesus: history.
To make the old aerodrome and its history visible and understandable turn history into the street, in cooperation with KZ & Veteranflyklubbens Capital Region set a veteranfly type HL-1 from 1958. The plane is 6 meters long with a 9 meter long wingspan. The "float" on a pillar and can be seen from Gammel Køge Road or closer hold upon the aerodrome. Later replaced this aircraft with a model of an Avro 540K from 1917, which was the first aircraft that flew from the site.
Categories: Air Ports
, Military - Air Force