"When constructed in 1905, the Ayres Building was the first modern, fireproof department store in the city. Located at 1 West Washington Street and designed by the local architectural firm of Vonnegut & Bohn, the store was enlarged in 1914, 1928, and 1946. Founder Lyman S. Ayres (1824-1896) had been a leading dry goods retailer in the state since opening his first store on Washington Street in 1872. A family owned business for three generations, the department store founded many of the great traditions of downtown Indianapolis, such as the Ayres Tea Room, Santa Land, the Ayres Clock, and the Christmas cherub. L. S. Ayres & Company vacated its historic headquarters in 1992. The building was rehabilitated and integrated into Circle Centre."
Buildings - Novelty / Interesting