Burnham & Morrill Co., a widely known Portland, Maine landmark, has been in the canning business for more than a century. Back in 1867, George Burnham, who previously had been a partner in the canning firm of Rumery & Burnham, started his own business and was joined by John E. Burnham and Charles Morrill.
For nearly 50 years, the company was owned by the Burnham family, but in 1910 George B. Morrill, Sr. bought out the Burnham's interest and soon after, B&M moved from 13 Franklin Street, Portland, to its present site on Casco Bay. In 1965, the address of the B&M plant was redesigned as "One Bean Pot Circle." Since the company's beginnings in 1867, the excellence of B&M products has been recognized both nationally and internationally, a fact attested to by the numerous medals and awards received over the years from U.S. and world trade expositions.
Category: Buildings - Misc