The Bear Lake Stake Tabernacle is a Romanesque red sandstone meetinghouse of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints designed by Joseph Don Carlos Young. The tabernacle was built between 1884 and 1889 by Mormon pioneers of Bear Lake Valley who used horse and ox teams to haul rock quarried from Indian Creek Canyon nearly 18 miles away. It cost $50,000 to build and seats around 2000 people. The tabernacle was dedicated September 15, 1889 by LDS Church president Wilford Woodruff. In 1972 the tabernacle was added to the National Register of Historic Places. The tabernacle was most recently refurbished in 2004-2005 and continues to operate as a meeting place for the Bear Lake Stake congregations and community.
Religious - Christianity