Built in 1954, the Bearspaw Plant was TransAlta's last downstream development on the Bow River in Alberta. It is one of four TransAlta hydro plants on the Bow River Mainstream System, which is part of the Bow River Electric System.

The Bearspaw plant was built primarily to reduce the possibility of winter flooding and ice packing on the Bow River through the City of Calgary. It was named after Chief Bear's Paw, one of the chiefs who signed the treaty at Blackfoot Crossing in 1877.
View in Google Earth Categories: Dams
Links: www.waymarking.com
By: kkeps
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement