The B-47 was designed as a post World War II jet powered intercontinental strategic bomber. It was the first jet bomber to utilize a swept wing design, bicycle landing gear and was the first jet bomber ordered in large quantities. The underside of all aircraft was painted white to deflect the heat of nuclear explosions. Boeing designers tested fifty different engine positions before finally placing them. Modified B-47’s served into the 1960’s as electronic warfare aircraft. B-47’s flew from March Field from 1953 to 1963.
Airplanes - Military - Static Display - Fighters
The B-47 at the March Field Museum is an E model serial number 53-2275. It was manufactured by Boeing Aircraft in Wichita, Kansas and delivered to the air force on 14 February 1955. Over its career it was assigned to the Strategic Air Command and based at Andersen Air Base on Guam and at March Air Force Base. It flew with the 303rd, 40th and 22nd Bombardment Wings and the 2881st Air Defense Division. The aircraft was retired from Air Force service in 1962.
A cutaway of a movie set mockup of a B-47 fuselage is inside the museum. This was used for a movie starring Jimmy Stewart.
The museum’s B-47E was retrieved from the China Lake Naval/ Air Weapons Station and brought to the museum in pieces and reassembled in 1988. It was delivered to the March Field Museum in January 1988. This aircraft is on loan from the USAF.
According to the Air Force Historical Research Agency (AFHRA/RSA), Maxwell AFB, AL, the museum’s B-47E has the following history:
B-47E, s/n 53-2275, was manufactured by Boeing Aircraft, Wichita KS and delivered to the USAF on 14 Feb 1955. It served in the following locations:
Feb - 1955 To 303th Bombardment (M) Wing (SAC), Davis-Monthan AFB AZ
Jun 1956 - Deployment to Andersen AB Guam
Oct 1956 - Return to Davis-Monthan AFB
Sep 1957 - To 22nd Bombardment (M) Wing (SAC), March AFB CA
Jun 1959 - Deployed to Andersen AB
Sep 1959 - Return to March AFB
Aug 1962 - Deployed to Andersen AB
Oct 1962 - To 2881st Air Defense Division (SAC), Andersen AB
Feb 1963 - To 40th Bombardment (M) Wing (SAC), Forbes AFB KS
Aug 1964 - Dropped from inventory by transfer to USN