The Bonneville Hotel was built in 1926-1927 at a cost of $335,000 by the Idaho Falls Community Hotel Corporation, a group of 421 local citizens. The corporation was conceived by the Chamber of Commerce and led by O.A. Johannsen, a prominent Idaho Falls attorney. It was created to bring a first-class hotel with convention facilities to Idaho Falls. When built, the hotel had a large central lobby, two dining rooms, a ballroom, and a sample room. The architectural firm of H.L. Stevens Co. of San Francisco designed the hotel in the architectural tradition of Italian Renaissance.